This Privacy Notice explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you connect with us. It also explains how we store and handle that data keeping it safe.
Your privacy means a lot to us and so we hope this policy gives you all the answers you need but if not, please do get in touch with us.
It’s likely that we will need to update this Privacy Notice from time to time. If any significant changes are made we will let you know but the latest version will always be here.
Who are St Bridget Nurseries Ltd?
St Bridget Nurseries Ltd is a private limited company with a subsidiary called Robert Veitch & Sons Ltd.
For simplicity throughout this policy, ‘we’ and ‘us’ will refer to St Bridget Nurseries Ltd and its subsidiaries.
We must collect and process your personal data for the following reasons:
Consent: In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. For example, when you tick a box to receive email newsletters.
Contractual obligations: In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations.
For example, if you order an item from us for home delivery, we’ll collect your address details to deliver your purchase, and pass them to our courier.
Legal compliance: If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data.
For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting us to the police.
Legitimate interest: In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected as part of running our business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we may use your purchase history to send you or make available personalised offers.
We also combine the shopping history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we can keep up with demand.
We may also use your address details to send you direct marketing information by post, telling you about products and services that we think might interest you, providing you have given us your consent to do so.
How do we collect your personal data?
- When you create an account with us.
- When you purchase a product or service in store or by phone and require it to be delivered
- When you engage with us on social media.
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc.
- When you ask one of our team to email or call you information about a plant or product
- When you enter prize draws or competitions.
- When you book any kind of appointment with us or book to attend a ticketed event
- When you choose to complete any surveys we send you
- When you fill in any forms. For example, if an accident happens in store, a member of staff may collect your personal data.
- When you’ve given a third party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
- When you use our car parks and shops which usually have CCTV systems operated for the security of both customers and staff. These systems may record your image during your visit.
- When you join a loyalty programme
What personal data do we collect?
- Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit a shop or car park.
- Your social media username, if you interact with us through those channels, to help us respond to your comments, questions or feedback.
- Your name and email address if you receive our newsletters
- Your name, billing/delivery address, telephone number and email address if you place an order with us.
- Details of your interactions with us through in store, online or by phone
For example, we collect notes from our conversations with you, details of any complaints or comments you make, details of purchases you made.
- We do not store your personal payment details.
How we use your personal data
To process any orders that you make. If we don’t collect your personal data during checkout, we won’t be able to process your order and comply with our legal obligations.
For example, your details may need to be passed to a third party to supply or deliver the product or service that you ordered and we may keep your details for a reasonable period afterwards in order to fulfil any contractual obligations such as refunds, guarantees and so on.
To respond to your queries, refund requests and complaints. Handling the information you sent enables us to respond. We may also keep a record of these to inform any future communication with us and to demonstrate how we communicated with you throughout. We do this on the basis of our contractual obligations to you, our legal obligations and our legitimate interests in providing you with the best service and understanding how we can improve our service based on your experience.
To protect our customers, premises, assets and staff from crime, we operate CCTV systems in our stores and car parks which record images for security. We do this on the basis of our legitimate business interests.
If we discover any criminal activity or alleged criminal activity through our use of CCTV, fraud monitoring and suspicious transaction monitoring, we will process this data for the purposes of preventing or detecting unlawful acts.
With your consent, we will use your personal data, preferences and details of your transactions to keep you informed by email about relevant products and services including tailored special offers, discounts, promotions, events, competitions and so on. Of course, you are free to opt out of hearing from us at any time.
To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about our changes to the services we provide you. For example, updates to this Privacy Notice.
To administer any of our prize draws or competitions which you enter, based on your consent given at the time of entering.
To comply with our contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services. These messages will not include any promotional content and do not require prior consent when sent by email. We have a legitimate interest to do so as this helps make our products or services more relevant to you. Of course, you are free to opt out of receiving these requests from us at any time by contacting us and updating your preferences.
Sometimes, we’ll need to share your details with a third party who is providing a service (such as delivery couriers). Without sharing your personal data, we’d be unable to fulfil your request.
How we protect your personal data
We know how much data security matters to all our customers. With this in mind we will treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
Our website uses ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data such as payment card information is not stored.
We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks, and check that our IT support companies follow GDPR guidance and processes.
How long do we keep your data for?
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected.
At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised, for example by aggregation with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for statistical analysis and business planning.
When you place an order, we’ll keep the personal data you give us for seven years so we can comply with our legal and contractual obligations.
If you’ve not used your account for more than five years, it will be flagged as inactive and we’ll contact you to ask whether you want to keep it open. Unless you reply to say ‘yes’, we’ll close the account and delete or anonymise the personal data associated with it.
If your order included a guarantee, the associated personal data will be kept until the end of the guarantee period and a further 12 months.
Do we share your data?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. For example
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems.
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers.
- Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you.
- Google/Facebook to show you products that might interest you while you’re browsing the internet.
Here’s the policy we apply to those organisations to keep your data safe and protect your privacy:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the exact purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
We never share your data with third parties for their own interest/purposes.
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels).
- That we stop any consent-based processing of your personal data after you withdraw that consent.
You can contact us to request to exercise these rights at any time as follows:
Please contact The Data Protection Officer, St Bridget Nurseries, Old Rydon Lane, Exeter, EX2 7JY or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
In cases where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation.
We must then do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice.
If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
How can I stop receiving emails from you?
There are several ways you can stop direct marketing communications from us:
- Click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication that we send you. We will then stop any further emails.
- Write to The Data Protection Officer, St Bridget Nurseries, Old Rydon Lane, Exeter, EX2 7JY or email email@example.com
Please note that you may continue to receive communications for a short period after changing your preferences while our systems are fully updated. We have up to a month to fully action your request.
We are regulated
If you feel that your data has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (opens in a new window; please note we can’t be responsible for the content of external websites).
This notice was last updated on 18/05/18