Part-time Cook / Front of House Assistant
Our team is small but fun and we want another star to help develop and enhance our catering provision at the 1925 Kitchen Café (Clyst St Mary).
Responsibilities of the job include:
- Assisting the cafe manager/head chef on days when you are working together. Ensuring that food orders are prepared timely, correctly, as budgeted and most importantly tasting delicious. You will help plate dishes and learn techniques from a trained chef.
- Ensuring the kitchen and stores are kept in order using correct processes and procedures for date marking and food hygiene control.
- Ensuring food wastage is kept to a minimum.
- You will ensure all prep work is complete for the next day’s service and that any food orders are submitted to our supplier before the order cut off time.
- You must ensure excellent food hygiene is carried out throughout your shift.
- Help the team devise monthly specials working with local produce and working to a budget.
- On certain shifts you may have more of a front of house role. Taking customer orders and operating the till. You will be given barista training so you can also prepare hot drinks.
- You will help the team keep the café area and kitchen clean and tidy which will include pot washing and use of the dishwasher.
Desired work experience
You may not have worked in a commercial kitchen before but you must enjoy cooking and be good at it. You must be able to work under pressure and have confidence to cover the head chef’s days off. You must love using local produce and take a pride in serving good home cooked food.
Ideally we are looking for one person to work 16 hours on a starting rota of every Monday and Wednesday. 8.30am to 4.30pm with a half hour unpaid break each day. We do not like to change shift patterns as everyone has lives to plan, however there maybe occasions (illness, holidays, staff leaving) where this starting rota is changed.
Benefits of working with us…
You can guarantee not to be working on Christmas day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and Easter Sunday as we are closed and we know it is important to be with friends and families on these days.
There is free parking on site or if you come by bus, the number 9 and 9a stops right outside our entrance.
You will get a staff discount card to use in the garden centre (on satisfactory completion of your probation period)
There maybe opportunity for extra shifts from time to time but this cannot be guaranteed at this stage.
You will be given H&S food hygiene training, till training, barista training and if the café is ever quiet you could be asked to help in the garden centre from time to time.
Pay subject to experience – complying with wage laws.
Job Type: Part-time (permanent contract)
Salary :from £6.75 (18-20 years) to £8.88 / hour (over 25 yrs).
To apply please send your CV to our Café Manager